Your organization may use Issuetrak to submit and manage a variety of issues, from maintenance requests to IT tickets. Using the same, cookie-cutter form for each of these types of issues can lead to confusion for End Users and too little -- or too much -- information submitted.
This is where Issuetrak’s Custom Screens feature comes in handy: it allows you to customize the information and required fields displayed based on the selected Issue Type.
You may want to include a room number field for a maintenance request, or a field for device type on an IT ticket form. You can build the forms with Issuetrak’s standard fields or with User Defined Fields that you design yourself. (To learn how to create User Defined Fields, see our Traktip on the subject!)
With Custom Screens, you can also update the default screen that Issuetrak provides for generic issues to change the field order or to simplify the screen by removing fields you do not need.
Ready to learn how to make your own Custom Screens? Let’s get started.
Creating a Custom Screen
1. Go to the Settings Menu > Issues > Custom Screens. Next, click "Add" underneath the Custom Screens section of the right-hand Context Menu.
2. Enter a title for your new Custom Screen (50 characters max).
3. Drag and drop any fields you want to display on this Custom Screen into the appropriate display order in the Included Fields list on the right. (You can also drag fields from the Included Fields list back to the Available Fields list to remove them.) Note that fields with an asterisk cannot be removed.
4. Add any Custom Section Headers or Screen Text you want by clicking the “+” links at the top of the page.
5. Drag and drop any Custom Section Headers, Blank Lines and/or Screen Text you want to display into the appropriate display order in the Included Fields list on the right.
6. Click Next.
7. Select any additional field requirements that apply. Required means that the field is required at all times on the issue. Required on Close means that the field only has to be filled out at some point before the issue can be closed.
You can also preview your form by clicking the “preview” link located next to the Save button.
8. Click Save.
Now that you’ve created a Custom Screen, you can link that screen to a particular Issue Type.
Assigning Custom Screens to Issue Types
1. Click "Assign" underneath the Custom Screens section of the right-hand Context Menu.
2. Select the Custom Screen you want to assign.
3. Check the Issue Types that need to be assigned this Custom Screen. (You can link one or more Issue Types to any one Custom Screen.)
4. Click Save.
Note that you can also link a Custom Screen to an Issue Type on the Add Issue Type page.
And there you have it! Using Custom Screens makes things easier for both End Users and Admins alike, ensuring that only the most relevant information gets passed along. If you have any questions about creating or using Custom Screens, feel free to reach out to your Account Manager. We are always happy to help!